Frequently Asked Questions About Assessor

What if I did not receive a Homeowners or Homestead (Senior) Exemption to which I was entitled?
You can apply for a Certificate of Error at our office or the county Assessor's office and receive a refund on the extra taxes you paid for the most recent three years. If you have not yet paid this year's bill, call the county Assessor to receive your exemptions and get your tax bill changed.

Is there any charge for appealing my assessment?
No. Our office will help you file an appeal.

If I appeal my assessment and receive a reduction, when will it appear on my tax bill?
On the second installment, which usually arrives in July.

How often can I appeal my property tax assessment?
You can appeal your assessment every year at the Cook County Assessor's Office, the Cook County Board of Review, and the Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB). If you wish to file an appeal, you must do so by filing during the open appeals time.

Where do I gather evidence for my assessment appeal?
You can gather evidence here at the Maine Township Assessor's Office, at the Cook County Assessor's Office, and online at the Cook County Assessor's web site.

Do I need an attorney to file an appeal?
No attorney is needed to file an appeal at the Assessor's office for any type of property. However, if your property is an incorporated business, you do need an attorney to appeal at the Board of Review and the Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB).

Maine Township